Search engine optimisation or SEO is the process of modifying the structure and content of your website with the aim of improving your rankings in the natural search listings.
The good news is that SEO is free! (if you don’t factor in your/your agency’s time spent!). The bad news is that your ranking, or even appearance, is determined by many factors including complex algorithms. So although you may tick all the boxes for search engine optimisation you still may not be on the first page (and let’s face it how many of us venture beyond the first page!).
If you have a niche business or niche products there is a good chance you can optimise your site for the search engines and achieve a good position. The key is to identify your best opportunities and not be too broad in your approach.
SEO is closely related to Paid Search (PPC) because PPC can be used to fill the gaps; giving you exposure on terms you can’t get exposure in the organic listings. Of course there is the valid argument that you should try to appear in both organic and paid listings for the same search queries. This is something which is best tested to see if it applies to you.
Search engines change their rules on a daily basis. Google reportedly has over 100+ facets to the algorithm which they use to determine relevancy. This is constantly tweaked to improve the results in their quest for a constantly improved user experience.
Your Customers’ Voice and SEO
As well as increasing conversion, customer feedback/reviews and forums also serve to improve your Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). By allowing your customers to communicate in their own style creates new content which is more likely to be picked up by prospects searching using similar phrases etc.
Any Search Engine Optimisation Plan should incorporate Social Media. We like to think of Social Media as ‘posh SEO’ because blogs and social networks linking to your site will improve your search engine rankings.
How can we help?
As we as helping you define and implement a Search Engine Optimisation Strategy we can assist in the following areas:
- Keyphrase analysis – identifying a target set of keyphrases to optimise for organic listings (as well as for Paid Search).
- Optimising your website – meta tags, themes, on-page and off-page analysis, copywriting, RSS syndication.
- Link building – internal and external.
- Social Media Optimisation: developing a company blog and attracting bloggers. Building a presence on Facebook, Twitter and other social media.
- Setting up an independent customer review/feedback system e.g. www.bazaarvoice.com.
- Setting up a customer forum on your site.
- Search Engine Marketing training for your staff.
For more information on our Search Engine Optimisation services, call or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org