The Growing usage of Augmented reality platforms: an in-depth overview
Augmented reality (AR) is a technology that enhances the real-world environment with digital information and media, such as images, text, and sounds. One can experience AR through various devices, including smartphones, tablets, smart glasses, and head-mounted devices. An augmented reality platform makes this technology more accessible to anyone who wants to experience or utilize it.
What is an augmented reality platform?
An augmented reality platform refers to tools and technologies that enable developers to create and deploy augmented reality (AR) experiences. These platforms typically include software development kits (SDKs), APIs, and other tools that allow developers to create interactive digital overlays and animations that can be displayed on top of the real-world environment and viewed on devices such as smartphones, tablets, head-mounted displays, and smart glasses. One can use Augmented Reality platforms to create a wide range of AR applications, such as gaming, education, e-commerce, and more.
Reasons for the Growing usage of Augmented reality platforms
The importance of augmented reality platforms is growing as technology becomes more accessible and mainstream. Some of the reasons for this growing importance include the following:
1. Increased accessibility
The increasing use of smartphones and other mobile devices makes AR more accessible to a wider audience. An augmented reality platform makes it easier for developers to create AR experiences that you can experience on a wide range of devices.
2. Advancements in technology
Improvements in computer vision, machine learning, and other technologies make it possible to create more advanced and realistic AR experiences. Thus, it leads to new and innovative use cases for augmented reality across various industries.
3. Growing demand
As more people experience AR and see its potential, the demand for AR experiences grows, leading to an increase in investment in AR technology and the development of new augmented reality platforms and tools.
Today, subscription plans for augmented reality platforms have become cheaper than traditional methods and can create more realistic simulations and interactive experiences.
5. Improved user engagement and experience
AR can create more engaging and interactive experiences, leading to improved user engagement and satisfaction.
Overall, the growing importance of AR platforms is due to technology’s ability to improve how we interact with the world around us and the increasing demand for more immersive and interactive experiences. As technology evolves, we expect to see more industries and sectors adopt AR technology, creating new opportunities for innovation and growth.
Popular AR app development Kits
Several popular augmented reality development platforms are available for developers to create AR experiences.
ARKit, developed by Apple, is a framework for creating AR experiences on iOS devices. It uses markerless AR and allows developers to create experiences that one can experience on iPhone and iPad devices.
ARCore, developed by Google, is a similar framework for creating AR experiences on Android devices. It also uses markerless AR and allows developers to create experiences that one can experience on a wide range of Android devices.
Vuforia is a widely-used AR development platform that supports marker-based and markerless AR on various devices and platforms. It also offers image recognition, object tracking, and 3D object recognition.
While some platforms support one or the other aforementioned AR app development kits, PlugXR platform supports all these SDKs and inter SDK migration.
Primary use cases of an augmented reality platform
Today, companies and individual creators use augmented reality platforms in various ways to enhance customer engagement and improve business operations. Some of the popular use cases for AR platforms include:
- Virtual try-on: Retailers, fashion and cosmetic brands use AR to create virtual try-on facilities. Both online and onsite customers can try their products to see how they look on them. It boosts their confidence to buy these products and reduce product returns.
- Virtual tours: Real estate agents can use AR to create virtual tours of properties, allowing potential buyers to see how furniture would look in a room before they even visit the property in person. It can save a lot of time for both buyers and sellers and make the buying process more efficient.
- Interactive historical and cultural information: Tourist destinations can use AR to provide visitors with interactive historical and cultural information about the area, making the experience more engaging and memorable.
- Improving the efficiency and productivity of assembly line workers: In manufacturing, AR is used to improve the efficiency and productivity of assembly line workers by providing them with real-time information and instructions.
- Improving the accuracy of surgical procedures: AR can be used in healthcare to improve the accuracy of surgical procedures and provide remote assistance to doctors in rural areas.
- Creating interactive learning experiences: AR can be used in education to create interactive learning experiences and make it easier for students to visualize complex concepts.
- Enhancing customer engagement: AR can be used in various industries to enhance customer engagement and provide immersive experiences that can improve sales and customer satisfaction.
Overall, the potential use cases for an augmented reality platform are vast and varied, and as the technology continues to evolve, new and innovative uses will likely emerge. Augmented reality is a rapidly growing technology with many potential applications across multiple industries. As technology advances and becomes more accessible, we can expect to see more AR experiences and applications in our daily lives.